Tech-based interventions work well in patients with psychosis

16 Dec 2022
Tech-based interventions work well in patients with psychosis

Technology-based interventions (TBIs) appear to be beneficial to patients with psychosis, with a recent study showing that the interventions are useful in the management of neurocognition, symptomatology, functioning, social cognition, and quality of life outcomes.

Researchers conducted a network meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials of outcomes of TBIs versus face-to-face interventions in psychosis. They searched multiple online databases for relevant studies and identified 58 studies for inclusion.

Forty-nine interventions were computerized or delivered via other devices, while nine were online and used mobile applications and health applications. Cognitive training therapy was a common component of most TBIs (26 studies alone and 15 studies with another TBI therapy) compared with face-to-face group psychotherapy interventions (31 studies).

The total sample consisted of 4,394 participants (mean age 36.58 years, 64.31 percent male). Their mean educational level was 11.37 years. The interventions had an average duration of 12 weeks, mostly without contact with other patients or therapists and with antipsychotic prescriptions. Patients attended at least three sessions a week in 40 percent of the studies and fewer than three sessions a week in the remaining 60 percent of the studies.

Pooled data showed that TBIs, when given in addition to treatment as usual (TAU), were mostly superior to face-to-face interventions (p≤0.0001) in terms of the following outcomes: neurocognition (p≤0.0001), functioning (p=0.006), and social cognition (p≤0.05).

The TBIs cognitive training and cognitive behavioral therapy were especially effective for the neurocognitive outcome and for quality of life, respectively.

Educational level, type of medication, frequency of the intervention, and contact during the intervention attenuated the effectiveness of TBIs over face-to-face interventions in neurocognition and symptomatology outcomes.

The findings indicate that TBIs should be considered a complement to TAU in patients with psychosis.

Editor's Recommendations
Related Diseases