Most Read Articles
Pearl Toh, 31 Dec 2019
Adding the neuraminidase inhibitor oseltamivir to usual care speeds up recovery from influenza-like illness by a day compared with usual care alone, with even greater benefits seen in older, sicker patients with comorbidities, according to the ALIC4E study.
23 Dec 2019
At a Menarini-sponsored symposium held during the Asian Pacific Society Congress, renowned cardiologist Prof John Camm provided the latest evidence for chronic stable angina with or without concomitant diseases, with a special focus on the antianginal agent ranolazine and combination therapies. The event was chaired and moderated by Dr Dante Morales from the University of the Philippines College of Medicine.
5 days ago
Testosterone treatment may slightly improve sexual functioning and quality of life in men without underlying organic causes of hypogonadism, but it offers little to no benefit for other common symptoms of ageing, according to a study. In addition, long-term efficacy and safety of this therapy remain unknown.
6 days ago
Prevention of glucocorticoid-induced osteoporosis (GIOP) and postmenopausal osteoporosis (PMOP) remains inadequate in patients with rheumatoid arthritis (RA), as shown in a study that evaluated the implementation of the 2003 and 2014 French guidelines on the prevention and treatment of GIOP and the 2012 update of the French guidelines for the treatment of PMOP.

Surufatinib holds promise in treatment of NETs in phase I/IIb trial

18 Jul 2019

Surufatinib has demonstrated encouraging antitumour activity with manageable toxicity profile in patients with extrapancreatic neuroendocrine tumours (NETs), according to the results of a phase I/IIb trial.

The trial included 81 patients (median age, 49 years; 54 percent men), among whom 42 had pancreatic NETs and 39 had extrapancreatic NETs. Most patients had radiologic progression within 1 year of enrolment (79 percent). On the other hand, 21 percent of patients showed clinical deterioration.

All patients received surufatinib 300 mg orally, once daily. Most patients had radiologic progression within 1 year prior to enrolment (32 patients in each cohort). Primary endpoints investigated were objective response rate (ORR) and safety.

ORRs were 19 percent (95 percent CI, 9–340) in the pancreatic NET cohort and 15 percent (6–31) in the extrapancreatic NET cohort. Disease control rates were 91 percent (77–97) and 92 percent (79-98), while median progression-free survival was 21.2 months (15.9–24.8) and 13.4 months (7.6–19.3), respectively.

In terms of safety, frequently reported grade ≥3 treatment-related adverse events were hypertension (33 percent), proteinuria (12 percent), hyperuricaemia (10 percent), hypertriglyceridaemia and diarrhoea (6 percent for each), and increased alanine aminotransferase (5 percent).

The treatment benefit observed in the current trial will be confirmed in two phase III trials, researchers said.

Surufatinib is a small-molecule inhibitor targeting vascular endothelial growth factor receptors, fibroblast growth factor receptor 1 and colony-stimulating factor 1 receptor. To date, no antiangiogenic treatment is yet approved for NETs.

Digital Edition
Asia's trusted medical magazine for healthcare professionals. Get your MIMS Doctor - Malaysia digital copy today!
Sign In To Download
Editor's Recommendations
Most Read Articles
Pearl Toh, 31 Dec 2019
Adding the neuraminidase inhibitor oseltamivir to usual care speeds up recovery from influenza-like illness by a day compared with usual care alone, with even greater benefits seen in older, sicker patients with comorbidities, according to the ALIC4E study.
23 Dec 2019
At a Menarini-sponsored symposium held during the Asian Pacific Society Congress, renowned cardiologist Prof John Camm provided the latest evidence for chronic stable angina with or without concomitant diseases, with a special focus on the antianginal agent ranolazine and combination therapies. The event was chaired and moderated by Dr Dante Morales from the University of the Philippines College of Medicine.
5 days ago
Testosterone treatment may slightly improve sexual functioning and quality of life in men without underlying organic causes of hypogonadism, but it offers little to no benefit for other common symptoms of ageing, according to a study. In addition, long-term efficacy and safety of this therapy remain unknown.
6 days ago
Prevention of glucocorticoid-induced osteoporosis (GIOP) and postmenopausal osteoporosis (PMOP) remains inadequate in patients with rheumatoid arthritis (RA), as shown in a study that evaluated the implementation of the 2003 and 2014 French guidelines on the prevention and treatment of GIOP and the 2012 update of the French guidelines for the treatment of PMOP.