Most Read Articles
Elaine Soliven, 4 days ago

Switching from efavirenz/emtricitabine/tenofovir disoproxil fumarate (EFV/FTC/TDF) to the new bictegravir/ emtricitabine/tenofovir alafenamide (BIC/FTC/TAF) regimen maintained high rates of virological suppression in adults who are living with HIV*, according to a study presented at AIDS 2020.

3 days ago
Among individuals with abdominal obesity, drinking beverages with artificial sweeteners (ASBs) or no sugar (USBs) instead of sugar-sweetened beverages (SSBs) helps lose body weight, a study has found. However, USBs have a more favourable effect on sweet taste preference compared with ASBs.
Stephen Padilla, 5 days ago
Pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) containing either long-acting injectable cabotegravir (CAB) or tenofovir/emtricitabine (TDF/FTC) is safe and effective for transgender women (TGW) and cisgender men who have sex with men (MSM), but CAB results in a much lower HIV incidence compared to TDF/FTC, results of the HIV Prevention Trials Network (HPTN) 083 have shown.
Jairia Dela Cruz, 4 days ago
Monthly prophylaxis with the fixed-dose combination of naphthoquine-azithromycin (NQAZ) is well tolerated and confers significant protection against infection with Plasmodium parasites among individuals residing in malaria-endemic areas in Southeast Asia, as shown in the results of a phase III trial.

SBP variation predicts outcomes in subarachnoid haemorrhage

01 Dec 2019

Variations in systolic blood pressure (SBP) in the first 24 hours after admission appear to be linked to outcomes in patients with acute spontaneous subarachnoid haemorrhage (SAH), a recent study has found.

The study included 303 SAH patients (mean age, 57.04±12.53 years; 51.16 percent female) whose BP values were recorded upon admission and every 2 hours thereafter for the first 24 hours. BP variation was defined as the standard deviation (SD) of measurements, the difference between the maximum and minimum values (delta), the coefficient of variation (CV), and the successive variation (SV).

Majority (59.08 percent) of the study sample had favourable outcomes, as determined by the Glasgow Outcome Scale (GOS), earning scores from 4–5. The remaining 40.92 percent scored between 1–3 and were identified to have unfavourable outcomes.

Multivariable logistic regression analysis found that the topmost tertiles of all four SBP variation parameters were significantly predictive of outcome: delta (odds ratio [OR], 4.4, 95 percent confidence intervals [CI], 1.6–11.9; p<0.001), SD (OR, 13.9, 95 percent CI, 4.8–40.8; p<0.001), CV (OR, 16.4, 95 percent CI, 5.6–48.4; p<0.001) and SV (OR, 15.8, 95 percent CI, 5.3–46.9; p<0.001).

The same was true for SBP variation values in the second tertile, though with generally lower magnitudes of effect.

Moreover, maximum (OR, 10.2, 95 percent CI, 2.6–40.4; p=0.001) and mean (OR, 2.8, 95 percent CI, 1.1–6.9; p=0.024) SBP values emerged as significant predictors of the GOS outcome.

Digital Edition
Asia's trusted medical magazine for healthcare professionals. Get your MIMS Cardiology - Malaysia digital copy today!
Sign In To Download
Editor's Recommendations
Most Read Articles
Elaine Soliven, 4 days ago

Switching from efavirenz/emtricitabine/tenofovir disoproxil fumarate (EFV/FTC/TDF) to the new bictegravir/ emtricitabine/tenofovir alafenamide (BIC/FTC/TAF) regimen maintained high rates of virological suppression in adults who are living with HIV*, according to a study presented at AIDS 2020.

3 days ago
Among individuals with abdominal obesity, drinking beverages with artificial sweeteners (ASBs) or no sugar (USBs) instead of sugar-sweetened beverages (SSBs) helps lose body weight, a study has found. However, USBs have a more favourable effect on sweet taste preference compared with ASBs.
Stephen Padilla, 5 days ago
Pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) containing either long-acting injectable cabotegravir (CAB) or tenofovir/emtricitabine (TDF/FTC) is safe and effective for transgender women (TGW) and cisgender men who have sex with men (MSM), but CAB results in a much lower HIV incidence compared to TDF/FTC, results of the HIV Prevention Trials Network (HPTN) 083 have shown.
Jairia Dela Cruz, 4 days ago
Monthly prophylaxis with the fixed-dose combination of naphthoquine-azithromycin (NQAZ) is well tolerated and confers significant protection against infection with Plasmodium parasites among individuals residing in malaria-endemic areas in Southeast Asia, as shown in the results of a phase III trial.