Most Read Articles
6 days ago
A strong belief in the necessity of medication is associated with better adherence to oral disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs (DMARDs) or prednisone, while higher self-efficacy correlates with poor adherence, in a diverse cohort of patients with rheumatoid arthritis (RA), suggests a study.
5 days ago
Low-dose administrations of haloperidol after thoracic surgery does not appear to prevent postoperative delirium, according to a new study.
3 days ago
Percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI) displays comparable rates of mortality and serious composite outcomes but a higher rate of target-vessel revascularization at 10 years relative to coronary artery bypass grafting (CABG) in patients with significant left main coronary artery (LMCA) disease, reports a study. On the other hand, CABG delivers lower mortality and serious composite outcome rates compared with PCI with drug-eluting stents after 5 years.
Pearl Toh, 5 days ago
Apixaban slashes the risk of recurrent venous thromboembolism (VTE) by 90 percent in cancer patients compared with the low-molecular-weight heparin (LMWH) dalteparin, with no increase in major bleeding risk, according to the ADAM VTE study presented at ASH 2018.

Sarcopenic obesity ups fall risk in postmenopausal women

16 Nov 2018

Sarcopenic obesity appears to increase the rate of falls in postmenopausal women, particularly in those of Hispanic background, reports a recent study.

Using dual-energy x-ray absorptiometry, researchers evaluated bone and body composition in 9,924 postmenopausal women (aged 50–79 years). Those with both sarcopenia (lowest 20th percentile of appendicular lean mass) and obesity (body fat percentage >42 percent) were determined to have sarcopenic obesity.

Majority (74.7 percent; n=7,415) of the sample were nonfallers reporting at most one fall event in any year. The remaining 25.3 percent (n=2,509) had at least two falls per year and were categorized as fallers.

Stratifying the participants according to age, researchers found that in those who were aged 50–64 years at baseline, all three measures of body composition were associated with higher risks of falls: sarcopenia (adjusted relative risk [RR], 1.32; 95 percent CI, 1.01–1.74), obesity (adjusted RR, 1.22; 1.08–1.37) and sarcopenic obesity (adjusted RR, 1.35; 1.17–1.56).

In comparison, in women aged 65–79 years at baseline, only obesity (adjusted RR, 1.16; 1.03–1.30) and sarcopenic obesity (adjusted RR, 1.21; 1.05–1.39), but not sarcopenia alone (adjusted RR, 1.07; 0.81–1.43), were significantly correlated with falls.

In terms of race and ethnicity, researchers showed that sarcopenic obesity strongly predicted fall incidence in Hispanic (adjusted RR, 2.40; 1.56–3.67) and non-Hispanic White (adjusted RR, 1.24; 1.11–1.39) participants.

Further studies should focus on coming up with age- and race-specific prevention strategies for sarcopenic obesity in postmenopausal women, researchers said.

Digital Edition
Asia's trusted medical magazine for healthcare professionals. Get your MIMS Doctor - Malaysia digital copy today!
Sign In To Download
Editor's Recommendations
Most Read Articles
6 days ago
A strong belief in the necessity of medication is associated with better adherence to oral disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs (DMARDs) or prednisone, while higher self-efficacy correlates with poor adherence, in a diverse cohort of patients with rheumatoid arthritis (RA), suggests a study.
5 days ago
Low-dose administrations of haloperidol after thoracic surgery does not appear to prevent postoperative delirium, according to a new study.
3 days ago
Percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI) displays comparable rates of mortality and serious composite outcomes but a higher rate of target-vessel revascularization at 10 years relative to coronary artery bypass grafting (CABG) in patients with significant left main coronary artery (LMCA) disease, reports a study. On the other hand, CABG delivers lower mortality and serious composite outcome rates compared with PCI with drug-eluting stents after 5 years.
Pearl Toh, 5 days ago
Apixaban slashes the risk of recurrent venous thromboembolism (VTE) by 90 percent in cancer patients compared with the low-molecular-weight heparin (LMWH) dalteparin, with no increase in major bleeding risk, according to the ADAM VTE study presented at ASH 2018.