Product Highlight – Dukoral
The Drinkable Vaccine against Cholera & enterotoxigenic E.coli (ETEC) Diarrhoea
Clinically proven protective efficacy:
- Up to 85-90% against cholera in the first 6 months3,4,6
- Up to 67% against ETEC in the first 3 months.5
At least one week interval between doses. Primary immunization can be completed as early as 8 days for adults and children over 6 years old (2 required doses) and 15 days for children 2-6 years (3 required doses).1
Onset of protection starts 7 days after completion of immunisation. The vaccination course should be completed at least one week before traveling.1
Good safety profile with most frequently reported adverse reactions occurred at similar frequencies in vaccine and placebo group in studies.1
1. DUKORAL full prescribing information (SV40398_MY).
2. Clements JD, Finkelstein RA. Demonstration of shared and unique immunological determinants in enterotoxins from Vibrio cholerae and Escherichia coli. Infect Immun 1978;22:709–13.
3. World Health Organization. Use of Oral Cholera Vaccine in Humanitarian Emergencies. http://www.who.int/cholera/vaccines/OCV_in_humanitarian_emergencies_15Jan2014.pdf.
4. Clemens JD, Sack DA, Harris RJ et al. Field trial of oral cholera vaccines in Bangladesh. Lancet 1986, 2:124-7.
5. Clemens JD., et al. Cross-protection by B subunit whole-cell cholera vaccine against diarrhoea associated with heat-labile toxin-producing enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli: result of a large-scale field trial. J Infect Dis 1988; 158:372-77.
6. World Health Organization. Cholera vaccines WHO position paper. Weekly Epidemiologic Record (WER). No 13, 2010, 85, 117-128 http://www.who.int/wer/2010/wer8513.pdf.
Further information is available in section 12b, New in This Issue and mims.com
Full prescribing information is available upon request.