Most Read Articles
06 Jul 2020
Routinely used for treating cardiovascular diseases, statins have been shown to benefit other conditions, and new evidence suggests that using the drug at high intensity reduces the risk of hip or knee replacement, an effect that may be specific to rheumatoid arthritis.
Jairia Dela Cruz, 06 Jul 2020
Following vegan and vegetarian diets, which offer plenty of what is good for health, has been reported to have a downside: an increased risk of depression and anxiety, especially for younger adults.
Pearl Toh, 29 Jun 2020
Having migraine during midlife appears to be associated with a higher risk of developing dementia in later life, according to a large population-based longitudinal Danish study presented at the AHS* 2020 Virtual Meeting, indicating that migraine may be a risk factor for dementia.
Roshini Claire Anthony, 5 days ago

Upadacitinib may be a suitable treatment for patients with active psoriatic arthritis (PsA) who have insufficient response to non-biologic disease-modifying anti-rheumatic drugs (non-bDMARDs), according to results of the phase III SELECT-PsA-1* trial presented at EULAR 2020.

Paroxetine effective for intractable, persistent cough in cancer patients

05 Jun 2020

Paroxetine shows promise as an effective, off-label treatment for intractable and persistent cough in patients with advanced cancer, a study has shown.

The authors conducted a single-centre review of paroxetine use in patients with advanced malignancy and cough at an Australia tertiary referral cancer centre between 1 October 2012 and 1 October 2017. They obtained data on cough type and severity, response, and adverse events from medical records.

Cough type was characterized as nonproductive dry cough, productive chesty cough, or cough exhibiting both nonproductive and productive features (mixed cough).

Thirty-four patients were identified, of whom 24 (71 percent) had a major or moderate reduction in their cough severity following treatment with paroxetine, while almost half (47 percent) showed a major improvement and a quarter (24 percent) moderate improvement. Sixteen of 34 patients (47 percent) had a lung primary cancer, while 17 of 18 patients without lung cancer had lung metastases from another primary cancer.

Twenty-two patients (65 percent) received 10-mg paroxetine, while the rest (n=14; 35 percent) initiated at 20 mg. Paroxetine appeared to show better response from those with dry cough. Of the 19 patients (56 percent) with nonproductive dry cough, 15 (80 percent) reported an improvement in symptoms post-treatment. The remaining 15 patients (44 percent) presented with either a productive chesty cough (n=9; 27 percent) or mixed cough (n-6; 18 percent). Of these, nine (60 percent) reported an improvement in symptoms.

“Intractable and persistent cough is experienced by more than a third of patients with advanced cancer, with a significant negative impact on quality of life,” the authors said.

Digital Edition
Asia's trusted medical magazine for healthcare professionals. Get your MIMS Oncology - Malaysia digital copy today!
Sign In To Download
Editor's Recommendations
Most Read Articles
06 Jul 2020
Routinely used for treating cardiovascular diseases, statins have been shown to benefit other conditions, and new evidence suggests that using the drug at high intensity reduces the risk of hip or knee replacement, an effect that may be specific to rheumatoid arthritis.
Jairia Dela Cruz, 06 Jul 2020
Following vegan and vegetarian diets, which offer plenty of what is good for health, has been reported to have a downside: an increased risk of depression and anxiety, especially for younger adults.
Pearl Toh, 29 Jun 2020
Having migraine during midlife appears to be associated with a higher risk of developing dementia in later life, according to a large population-based longitudinal Danish study presented at the AHS* 2020 Virtual Meeting, indicating that migraine may be a risk factor for dementia.
Roshini Claire Anthony, 5 days ago

Upadacitinib may be a suitable treatment for patients with active psoriatic arthritis (PsA) who have insufficient response to non-biologic disease-modifying anti-rheumatic drugs (non-bDMARDs), according to results of the phase III SELECT-PsA-1* trial presented at EULAR 2020.