Most Read Articles
Jairia Dela Cruz, 05 Oct 2020
Drinking more than two cups of coffee per day may just be the intervention that prevents hundreds of thousands of liver disease‐related deaths globally, a study reports.
Pearl Toh, 21 Sep 2020
Early and sustained treatments with simplified regimen are the key to achieving good asthma control, said experts during a presentation at the ERS 2020 Congress.
Roshini Claire Anthony, 12 Oct 2020

Insulin icodec, an in-development basal insulin analogue administered once weekly, was as effective as once-daily insulin glargine in patients with type 2 diabetes (T2D) insufficiently controlled with metformin with or without a DPP-4* inhibitor, according to a phase II trial presented at EASD 2020.

Stephen Padilla, 2 days ago
Use of systemic corticosteroids does not reduce in-hospital mortality for patients with severe or critical coronavirus disease (COVID-19), which is in stark contrast to that observed in the RECOVERY clinical trial, according to a study in Wuhan, China.

Mental health check needed before allogeneic HSCT

24 Sep 2020
Lab-grown stem cells are bringing a lot of potential to the human and medical development.

Depression before transplantation may compound mortality risks in patients receiving allogeneic haematopoietic stem cell transplantation (allo-HSCT), a recent study has found.

Researchers conducted a nationwide cohort study including 7,170 patients (median age at transplant, 45 years; 54.6 percent male) who received all-HSCT between 2002 and 2018 in South Korea. Of the participants, 13.3 percent (n=956) had depression, and the remaining 86.7 percent (n=6,214) did not. The primary endpoint was overall survival (OS) difference post-transplantation between depression status groups.

Over a median of 29.1 months, a 5-year OS rate estimate of 63.1 percent was calculated. Patients with depression or anxiety before transplantation showed lower 5-year survival rates; those with both psychological morbidities had the worst outlook.

Multivariable analysis confirmed that having pretransplantation depression (adjusted hazard ratio [HR], 1.167, 95 percent confidence interval [CI], 1.007–1.352; p=0.04) and both depression and anxiety (adjusted HR, 1.202, 95 percent CI, 1.038–1.393; p=0.014) were correlated with significantly worse OS relative to patients who had neither. Anxiety alone, on the other hand, bore no such effect (adjusted HR, 1.038, 95 percent CI, 0.927–1.162; p=0.519).

At 100 days after transplantation, 6,391 patients were still alive and were eligible for the landmark analysis. Multivariable analysis showed that having both depression and anxiety remained a significant risk factor for worse OS (adjusted HR, 1.253, 95 percent CI, 1.061–1.479; p<0.001), while the effects of depression alone or anxiety alone were attenuated.

Digital Edition
Asia's trusted medical magazine for healthcare professionals. Get your MIMS Doctor - Malaysia digital copy today!
Sign In To Download
Editor's Recommendations
Most Read Articles
Jairia Dela Cruz, 05 Oct 2020
Drinking more than two cups of coffee per day may just be the intervention that prevents hundreds of thousands of liver disease‐related deaths globally, a study reports.
Pearl Toh, 21 Sep 2020
Early and sustained treatments with simplified regimen are the key to achieving good asthma control, said experts during a presentation at the ERS 2020 Congress.
Roshini Claire Anthony, 12 Oct 2020

Insulin icodec, an in-development basal insulin analogue administered once weekly, was as effective as once-daily insulin glargine in patients with type 2 diabetes (T2D) insufficiently controlled with metformin with or without a DPP-4* inhibitor, according to a phase II trial presented at EASD 2020.

Stephen Padilla, 2 days ago
Use of systemic corticosteroids does not reduce in-hospital mortality for patients with severe or critical coronavirus disease (COVID-19), which is in stark contrast to that observed in the RECOVERY clinical trial, according to a study in Wuhan, China.