Most Read Articles
2 days ago
There appears to be no association between aortic pulse wave velocity, a measure of vascular stiffness, and migraine, as reported in a recent study.
29 Nov 2019
Metformin Extended Release 500 mg,750 mg, and 1000 mg
3 days ago
The dietary intake of gluten does not appear to be a risk factor for psoriasis, psoriatic arthritis or atopic dermatitis in women, reports a new study.
01 Dec 2019
Pneumonia is a common infection– affecting around 3,200 people inSingapore in 2016 – making it the thirdmost common cause of hospitalisation inthe country. Its common complications,especially with delayed or inappropriatetreatment, include bacteraemia andseptic shock, lung abscesses, pleuraleffusions, empyema, pleurisy, respiratoryfailure and renal failure.

Menopause implicated in sleep-onset insomnia, OSA

01 Feb 2020

Postmenopausal women are at greater odds of experiencing sleep-onset insomnia, as well as of screening positive for obstructive sleep apnoea (OSA), a study has found.

Researchers looked at a cohort of 6,179 women aged between 45–60 years from the Canadian Longitudinal Study of Aging. All participants completed assessments for overall sleep satisfaction, hours of daily sleep, sleep-onset insomnia, sleep-maintenance insomnia, daytime somnolence, rapid eye movement sleep behaviour disorder (RBD), restless leg syndrome (RLS) and OSA.

Majority of the population (60.1 percent; mean age, 55.7 years) were postmenopausal, while the remaining 39.9 percent were pre/perimenopausal (mean age, 49.80 years).

Multivariate regression analysis showed that compared with pre/perimenopausal women, those who were postmenopausal were more likely to report needing ≥30 minutes to fall asleep (20.4 percent vs 15.5 percent; adjusted odds ratio [AOR], 1.24, 95 percent confidence interval [CI], 1.00–1.53), to meet criteria for possible sleep-onset insomnia disorder (10.8 percent vs 7.3 percent; AOR, 1.51, 95 percent CI, 1.07–2.12), and to have OSA (14.6 percent vs 10.4 percent; AOR, 1.48, 95 percent CI, 1.14–1.92).

The postmenopausal and pre/perimenopausal groups did not differ in terms of the following outcomes: sleep dissatisfaction (32.4 percent vs 29 percent), daytime somnolence disorder (1.6 percent vs 1.3 percent), sleep-maintenance insomnia disorder (17 percent vs 14.5 percent), RLS (23.5 percent vs 20.9 percent) or RBD (3.9 percent vs 4.0 percent).

According to the researchers, more studies should be conducted to identify the mechanisms underlying the association between menopause, sleep-onset insomnia and OSA, as well as explore potential treatments.

Digital Edition
Asia's trusted medical magazine for healthcare professionals. Get your MIMS Doctor - Malaysia digital copy today!
Sign In To Download
Editor's Recommendations
Most Read Articles
2 days ago
There appears to be no association between aortic pulse wave velocity, a measure of vascular stiffness, and migraine, as reported in a recent study.
29 Nov 2019
Metformin Extended Release 500 mg,750 mg, and 1000 mg
3 days ago
The dietary intake of gluten does not appear to be a risk factor for psoriasis, psoriatic arthritis or atopic dermatitis in women, reports a new study.
01 Dec 2019
Pneumonia is a common infection– affecting around 3,200 people inSingapore in 2016 – making it the thirdmost common cause of hospitalisation inthe country. Its common complications,especially with delayed or inappropriatetreatment, include bacteraemia andseptic shock, lung abscesses, pleuraleffusions, empyema, pleurisy, respiratoryfailure and renal failure.