Most Read Articles
Stephen Padilla, 22 Oct 2020
The reproductive profile of women from menarche to menopause contributes to their future risk of cardiovascular disease (CVD), suggests a recent study.

High-intensity statin regimens becoming more common

01 Feb 2020

High-intensity statin therapy appears to be seeing increased use in patients with acute coronary syndrome (ACS) and leads to better lipid control, according to a recent Thailand study.

Accessing the electronic database of a tertiary Thai teaching hospital, researchers evaluated the medical records of 1,753 ACS patients (mean age, 67.9±12.4 years; 63 percent male). Temporal trends of the prescription of high-statin therapy, as well as the proportion of patients who achieved the low-density lipoprotein cholesterol (LDL-C) goal, were the study outcomes.

More than half of the participants were given high-intensity statin regimens (56.3 percent; n=987). The rest (43.7 percent; n=766) had been given low-to-moderate-intensity statin therapies. Atorvastatin 40 mg daily was the most common medication given (n=980).

The prescription of high-intensity grew over time, from 10 percent in 2013 to 32 percent and 88 percent in 2014 and 2016, respectively. The temporal increase achieved statistical significance for a linear trend (p=0.033).

Almost a quarter of the population achieved a reduction in LDL-C of almost a half, while levels dropped to below 70 mg/dL in 35.1 percent. Using either criteria, 43.4 percent of the participants were deemed to have achieved the LDL-C goal. These tended to have lower LDL-C at baseline and be on high-intensity statin medication.

Multivariable analysis found that having high LDL-C at baseline was a significant deterrent to achieving LDL-C goals 120 days after discharge (>100 mg/dL vs <70 mg/dL: adjusted odds ratio [OR], 0.26, 95 percent confidence interval [CI], 0.13–0.51; p<0.001). High-intensity statin treatment, on the other hand, was a significant positive predictor (adjusted OR, 2.13, 95 percent CI, 1.40–3.24; p<0.001).

Digital Edition
Asia's trusted medical magazine for healthcare professionals. Get your MIMS Cardiology - Malaysia digital copy today!
Sign In To Download
Editor's Recommendations
Most Read Articles
Stephen Padilla, 22 Oct 2020
The reproductive profile of women from menarche to menopause contributes to their future risk of cardiovascular disease (CVD), suggests a recent study.