Most Read Articles
06 Mar 2018
Posttraumatic growth (PTG) in head and neck cancer survivors is lower than in other cancer types, a recent study has shown. Moreover, improving PTG may have positive impact on health-related quality of life.
02 May 2018
At a recent Lundbeck Neuroscience Symposium at Hilton Kota Kinabalu, Professor Bernhard Baune discussed important clinical considerations in the management of behavioural and psychological symptoms of dementia (BPSD), focussing on the role of memantine hydrochloride (Ebixa®; Lundbeck).
03 May 2018
In community-dwelling elderly adults, a decline in will to live (WTL) predicts depressive symptoms (DS) rather than vice versa, a recent Israel study has shown.
12 Jan 2017
Adding increased activity or energy as part of DSM-5 criterion A reduces the prevalence of manic and hypomanic episodes, a new study suggests. However, the new criterion does not affect longitudinal clinical outcomes.

Executive function stable in extremely preterm, low birth weight children

22 Sep 2017
Researchers discovered that one of the six genes, which affect whether a woman is likely to have a preterm baby, is linked with the metabolism of selenium.

Executive function (EF) appears to be stable and age-appropriate in extremely preterm (EP) and extremely low birth weight (ELBW) children, a new study has shown. On the other hand, academic outcomes are poorer in these children.

The study included 180 children born either EP or ELBW. Most of the patients (61 percent; n=110) were classified as normal during both assessment time points at 8 and 18 years of age, according to the Behavioural Regulation Index (BRI).

In comparison, 15 percent (n=27) had persistently higher scores, 12 percent (n=22) had remitting difficulties and 12 percent (n=21) experienced late-onset difficulties. Taken together, the BRI showed that majority of the participants had stable EF and only 24 percent changed categories between the two assessment time points.

According to the Metacognition Index (MCI), 53 percent (n=94) were typical at both time points while 16 percent (n=28) had persistent difficulties. Remitting and late-onset difficulties were reported in 13 (n=23) and 19 (n=34) percent, respectively.

The MCI also showed that majority of the participants had stable EF while only 32 percent switched categories from the first to the second assessment time point.

In terms of academic performance in reading, spelling and math, participants who classified as typical in MCI and BRI outperformed the late-onset and persistent difficulties subgroups.

Moreover, those in the remitting subgroup according to BRI performed better than those with persistent difficulties in all academic outcomes, and better than those with late-onset difficulties in reading and spelling.

Digital Edition
Asia's trusted medical magazine for healthcare professionals. Get your MIMS Psychiatry - Malaysia digital copy today!
Sign In To Download
Editor's Recommendations
Most Read Articles
06 Mar 2018
Posttraumatic growth (PTG) in head and neck cancer survivors is lower than in other cancer types, a recent study has shown. Moreover, improving PTG may have positive impact on health-related quality of life.
02 May 2018
At a recent Lundbeck Neuroscience Symposium at Hilton Kota Kinabalu, Professor Bernhard Baune discussed important clinical considerations in the management of behavioural and psychological symptoms of dementia (BPSD), focussing on the role of memantine hydrochloride (Ebixa®; Lundbeck).
03 May 2018
In community-dwelling elderly adults, a decline in will to live (WTL) predicts depressive symptoms (DS) rather than vice versa, a recent Israel study has shown.
12 Jan 2017
Adding increased activity or energy as part of DSM-5 criterion A reduces the prevalence of manic and hypomanic episodes, a new study suggests. However, the new criterion does not affect longitudinal clinical outcomes.