Most Read Articles
18 Jun 2019
The aromatase inhibitor anastrozole shows promise in the treatment of children with congenital adrenal hyperplasia, reducing bone age advancement without adversely affecting bone mineral density and visceral adipose tissue, as shown in a recent study.
22 hours ago
Monotherapy with tenofovir disoproxil fumarate increases virologic response for up to 240 weeks in pretreated patients with hepatitis B virus infection (HBV) who are resistant to entecavir and/or adefovir, a new study has found.
Elvira Manzano, Yesterday
Long-term treatment with the interleukin-5 receptor alpha-directed cytolytic monoclonal antibody benralizumab led to long-term control of asthma, improvement in pulmonary function, and was safe in patients with severe eosinophilic asthma in the 2-year integrated analysis of the SIROCCO, CALIMA, and ZONDA pivotal studies plus the BORA extension study reported at ATS 2019.
Pearl Toh, Yesterday
Emerging evidence is showing that the two major new classes of antidiabetic drugs — SGLT2* inhibitors and GLP-1** receptor agonists (RAs) — not only confer cardiovascular (CV) benefits to patients with type 2 diabetes (T2D), they also delay the loss of kidney function among these patients, potentially providing nephrologists with an additional tool in their armamentarium for managing patients with chronic kidney disease (CKD) in the future.

Decline in activities of daily living predicts HF hospitalization, death

18 Apr 2019

A decline in activities of daily living (ADL) appears to predict being hospitalized for heart failure (HF) and death in HF patients, a recent study suggests.

Drawing from the Kitakawachi Clinical Background and Outcome of Heart Failure Registry, researchers enrolled 923 HF patients (mean age, 75.7±11.2 years; 54.9 percent male). ADLs were categorized into four: independent outdoor walking, independent indoor walking, indoor walking with assistance and abasia. The primary study endpoint was hospitalization for HF.

Most of the patients (89.4 percent; n=825) did not show a decline in ADL while the remaining 10.6 percent (n=98) did. Over a median follow-up period of 369 days, 30.3 percent (n=279) of the participants were hospitalized for HF.

Analysis according to ADL status showed that there were more incidences of HF hospitalization in the group of patients with vs without ADL decline (46.4 percent vs 28.4 percent). This translated to a significantly higher risk of the primary outcome, as measured by multivariable Cox proportional hazard models (hazard ratio [HR], 1.89; 95 percent CI, 1.35–2.58; p<0.001).

Over the same time period, 12.9 percent (n=119) of the overall sample had died. Mortality was likewise more common in the ADL-decline group (28.9 percent vs 11 percent), resulting in a significantly greater risk (HR, 2.67; 1.71–4.02; p<0.001).

Moreover, in a multivariate analysis including all patients, a decline in ADL again emerged as a significant predictor of HF hospitalization (HR, 1.42; 1.01–1.96; p=0.046) and death (HR, 1.95; 1.23–2.99; p<0.01).

Digital Edition
Asia's trusted medical magazine for healthcare professionals. Get your MIMS Doctor - Malaysia digital copy today!
Sign In To Download
Editor's Recommendations
Most Read Articles
18 Jun 2019
The aromatase inhibitor anastrozole shows promise in the treatment of children with congenital adrenal hyperplasia, reducing bone age advancement without adversely affecting bone mineral density and visceral adipose tissue, as shown in a recent study.
22 hours ago
Monotherapy with tenofovir disoproxil fumarate increases virologic response for up to 240 weeks in pretreated patients with hepatitis B virus infection (HBV) who are resistant to entecavir and/or adefovir, a new study has found.
Elvira Manzano, Yesterday
Long-term treatment with the interleukin-5 receptor alpha-directed cytolytic monoclonal antibody benralizumab led to long-term control of asthma, improvement in pulmonary function, and was safe in patients with severe eosinophilic asthma in the 2-year integrated analysis of the SIROCCO, CALIMA, and ZONDA pivotal studies plus the BORA extension study reported at ATS 2019.
Pearl Toh, Yesterday
Emerging evidence is showing that the two major new classes of antidiabetic drugs — SGLT2* inhibitors and GLP-1** receptor agonists (RAs) — not only confer cardiovascular (CV) benefits to patients with type 2 diabetes (T2D), they also delay the loss of kidney function among these patients, potentially providing nephrologists with an additional tool in their armamentarium for managing patients with chronic kidney disease (CKD) in the future.