Most Read Articles
Jairia Dela Cruz, 3 days ago
Metabolic and bariatric surgery (MBS) leads to large and sustained reductions in, and even reversal of, multiple risk factors for future joint disease in adolescents with severe obesity and musculoskeletal pain, according to data from the Teen Longitudinal Assessment of Bariatric Surgery study.
Pearl Toh, 31 Dec 2019
Adding the neuraminidase inhibitor oseltamivir to usual care speeds up recovery from influenza-like illness by a day compared with usual care alone, with even greater benefits seen in older, sicker patients with comorbidities, according to the ALIC4E study.
23 Dec 2019
At a Menarini-sponsored symposium held during the Asian Pacific Society Congress, renowned cardiologist Prof John Camm provided the latest evidence for chronic stable angina with or without concomitant diseases, with a special focus on the antianginal agent ranolazine and combination therapies. The event was chaired and moderated by Dr Dante Morales from the University of the Philippines College of Medicine.
Pearl Toh, 6 days ago
Obeticholic acid significantly improves fibrosis and disease activity in patients with nonalcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH), a chronic liver disease currently with no approved therapy, according to an interim analysis of the landmark REGENERATE* study.

Chinese men with pleural tuberculosis at greater risk of empyema

05 Jan 2020

Tuberculosis empyema (TE) remains a common issue in China, especially among men, a recent study has shown.

Researchers conducted a retrospective cohort study on 474 patients with pleural tuberculosis (TB). Having grossly purulent pleural fluid was the basis for empyema identification. The primary study outcomes were factors predictive of TE.

Forty-two patients (mean age, 29.1±12.2 years; 90.5 percent male) were confirmed to have TE, resulting in an overall prevalence rate of 8.9 percent. The remaining 432 (91.1 percent; mean age, 36.3±18.5 years; 78.0 percent male) were established as non-TE comparators. More than half (51.3 percent) were smokers, and 71.1 percent had coughs, the most common symptom. Fevers were present in 70.7 percent and dyspnoea in 51.1 percent.

Multivariate logistic regression analysis identified being male as a strong and significant risk factor for developing TE in pleural TB patients (odds ratio [OR], 4.431, 95 percent confidence interval [CI], 1.411–13.919; p=0.011). Analysis was adjusted for pertinent confounders, such as age, comorbidity, symptoms and effusion sites.

Adenosine deaminase levels >88 U/L (OR, 3.367, 95 percent CI, 1.533–7.395; p=0.002) and white blood cell count >9.52 109/L (OR, 5.763; 95 percent CI, 2.473–13.431; p<0.001) also emerged as significant predictors of TE. In contrast, having pulmonary TB exerted a significant protective effect against TE (OR, 0.155, 95 percent CI, 0.072–0.336; p<0.001).

Important study limitations include its retrospective nature, the failure to take empyema stage into consideration and a single-centre design, which may limit its generalizability in broader populations, the researchers said. Further studies are required to validate the present findings.

Digital Edition
Asia's trusted medical magazine for healthcare professionals. Get your MIMS Doctor - Malaysia digital copy today!
Sign In To Download
Editor's Recommendations
Most Read Articles
Jairia Dela Cruz, 3 days ago
Metabolic and bariatric surgery (MBS) leads to large and sustained reductions in, and even reversal of, multiple risk factors for future joint disease in adolescents with severe obesity and musculoskeletal pain, according to data from the Teen Longitudinal Assessment of Bariatric Surgery study.
Pearl Toh, 31 Dec 2019
Adding the neuraminidase inhibitor oseltamivir to usual care speeds up recovery from influenza-like illness by a day compared with usual care alone, with even greater benefits seen in older, sicker patients with comorbidities, according to the ALIC4E study.
23 Dec 2019
At a Menarini-sponsored symposium held during the Asian Pacific Society Congress, renowned cardiologist Prof John Camm provided the latest evidence for chronic stable angina with or without concomitant diseases, with a special focus on the antianginal agent ranolazine and combination therapies. The event was chaired and moderated by Dr Dante Morales from the University of the Philippines College of Medicine.
Pearl Toh, 6 days ago
Obeticholic acid significantly improves fibrosis and disease activity in patients with nonalcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH), a chronic liver disease currently with no approved therapy, according to an interim analysis of the landmark REGENERATE* study.