Most Read Articles
11 days ago
Increased serum levels of C-X-C motif chemokine (CXCL)-11, CXCL-9, CXCL-10 and interferon (IFN)-γ are associated with clinical manifestations of adult-onset Still’s disease (AOSD), reports a new study.
3 days ago
At a recent lunch symposium during the 14th Annual Scientific Meeting of the Malaysian Society of Hypertension, Dr Chow Yok Wai spoke on the importance of patient adherence in the management of hypertension, highlighting the role of combination therapy in improving treatment outcomes.
5 days ago
Myopia is associated with depressive symptoms in Chinese adults, a new population-based study shows.
6 days ago
Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) is currently the 10th commonest cause of death in Singapore, with a disease burden of 5.9 percent according to a 2015 population-based survey (EPIC-Asia survey) in Singapore. Pearl Toh spoke with Dr Augustine Tee, chief and senior consultant of the Department of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine at Changi General Hospital (CGH) in Singapore, on how COPD is often underdetected in the primary care population as symptoms are not specific and diagnosis requires a combination of clinical risk factors, symptoms and spirometry testing.

Esophagogastric varices associated with poor prognosis in hepatocellular carcinoma

2 months ago

Esophagogastric varices are independent risk factors for poor prognosis and poor liver functional reserves in patients with hepatocellular carcinoma, a new study reports.

The study included 990 hepatocellular carcinoma patients who were treatment-naïve. Those who did not receive esophagogastroduodenoscopy were excluded. The patients were followed up every 3 months for a median of 13.1 months. Radio-immunoassay was performed to measure the serum levels of hepatitis C virus antibody and hepatitis B surface antigen, and overall survival was used as the primary endpoint.

Of the patients, 95.2 percent were screened for esophagogastric varices and the remaining 4.8 percent for bleeding. Esophagogastroduodenoscopy diagnosed esopahgogastric varices in 480 patients; of these, 399 had esophageal varices alone, 12 had gastric varices alone, and 69 had both.

At the end of the follow-up period, 457 patients survived while 533 died. Patients with esophagogastic varices had lower 1-, 3- and 5-year overall survival rates compared with those without esophagogastric varices (49.4 vs 67.7 percent, 34.7 vs 54.9 and 24.9 vs 46.4 percent, respectively; p<0.001).

After stratification according to the Barcelona Clinic Liver Cancer stages, overall survival rates remained lower among patients with esophagogastric varices than among those without esophagogastric varices with the exception of those with stage D disease. The results were similar regardless of whether patients received either curative or non-curative treatment modalities.

The findings thus show that esophagogastric varices are independent risk factors for poorer prognoses in patients with hepatocellular carcinoma.

Digital Edition
Asia's trusted medical magazine for healthcare professionals. Get your MIMS Doctor - Malaysia digital copy today!
DOWNLOAD
Editor's Recommendations
Most Read Articles
11 days ago
Increased serum levels of C-X-C motif chemokine (CXCL)-11, CXCL-9, CXCL-10 and interferon (IFN)-γ are associated with clinical manifestations of adult-onset Still’s disease (AOSD), reports a new study.
3 days ago
At a recent lunch symposium during the 14th Annual Scientific Meeting of the Malaysian Society of Hypertension, Dr Chow Yok Wai spoke on the importance of patient adherence in the management of hypertension, highlighting the role of combination therapy in improving treatment outcomes.
5 days ago
Myopia is associated with depressive symptoms in Chinese adults, a new population-based study shows.
6 days ago
Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) is currently the 10th commonest cause of death in Singapore, with a disease burden of 5.9 percent according to a 2015 population-based survey (EPIC-Asia survey) in Singapore. Pearl Toh spoke with Dr Augustine Tee, chief and senior consultant of the Department of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine at Changi General Hospital (CGH) in Singapore, on how COPD is often underdetected in the primary care population as symptoms are not specific and diagnosis requires a combination of clinical risk factors, symptoms and spirometry testing.